I have been trying to brush up on my baking skills because as I have mentioned one too many times before I fail at making desserts. Two weekends ago I decided I needed to start practicing. I searched high and low for a reasonable Nutella cupcake recipe and couldn’t find any that were simple enough for a beginner like me to not mess up. I finally decided to go for a chocolate cupcake recipe. My plan was to add as much Nutella as I wanted before baking. I also wanted to try making homemade frosting. Most of the Nutella recipes had some sort of cream cheese frosting so I went with that and found a very simple recipe for that as well. I must admit that these suckers were delish! I actually read and followed the instructions (something I find to be beyond boring and unnecessary). I made another batch this weekend for extra practice and I am quite proud of myself.
Chocolate Nutella Cupcake Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 table spoons Nutella
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 1.2 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
4. Let cool completely before frosting.
1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
3. Spread on to cupcakes when cool.