Makes: 4-6 servings
2 tablespoons organic olive oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose organic flour
2 tablespoons butter or Brummel &Brown (natural yogurt spread)
2 cups organic milk
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups organic vegetable stock
1 cup finely chopped organic onion (approx. 1 medium onion)
1/2 teaspoon organic black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon zest (2 large organic lemons)
4 tablespoons organic lemon juice
1 cup roughly chopped organic pistachios
1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
1 lb organic pasta
1. Cook pasta in well-salted water until al dente.
2. While the pasta cooks, melt the Brummel & Brown or butter in heavy saucepan over moderately low heat. Add the chopped organic onion and cook until softened. Add flour and whisk for about 3 minutes to make a roux. Add milk and stock in steady stream, whisking constantly until thick and smooth (10-15 min). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the solids.
4. Mix the sauce with the organic lemon zest, organic lemon juice, pistachios, and parmigiano.
5. Strain out the pasta and place into the sauce to coat. Some people like to retain some of the starchy pasta water to help the sauce come together.