I have never had shepherds pie until the bf was raving about when his mother used to make it when he was a kid. We don’t eat meat now so I decided to change it up a bit to make it a little awesome her for ourselves and the environment. When I tried it I have to say it was quite tasty! This is a great cold weather dish to serve.
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter or Brummel and Brown
* 1/2 pound vegetarian meat
* 1 cup grated organic onion
* 2 organic carrots
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
* 1 teaspoon organic ground pepper
* 1 1/4 cups organic vegetable stock
* 1 teaspoon organic Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 pound organic potatoes
* 1/2 cup organic sour cream
* 1 cup cheddar, grated
* 1/3 cup organic skim milk
* Pastry Pie Crust
* 1 Bag organic string beans
* 1/2 cup organic corn
1.Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
2.Add the vegetarian meat and shredded carrots. Let cook until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. (I try to add vegetables where I can and where people won’t notice)
3. Add the organic onions,sea salt, pepper. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Gradually add the vegetable stock and Worcestershire sauce, while stirring.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
6. While doing this Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with salted water by 1-inch.
8. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
9. Drain in a colander and return to the pot. Over low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
10. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, salt, pepper, milk and sour cream, and continue to mash.
11. Remove from the heat.
12. Cover bottom of pie crust with organic corn.
13. On top of the corn put a layer of green beans.
14. Remove the pot with the meat from the heat. Spoon on top of vegetables.
15. Top with the mashed potatoes, smooth the top.
16. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake until browned and bubbly for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
17. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then serve.